1958 BOYS' SOCCER


TEAM


YEAR OF INDUCTION: 2008



The greatest irony of the first varsity team in SHS history is that the key components all felt they would make history across town at Hamilton High West. As it turned out, those players were the ones to start the Green & White on a run of sustained greatness rarely seen in Mercer County. Steinert opened its doors in 1955. After that school year, a group of freshman were transferred to Hamilton for their sophomore and junior years. The 1957 Hornets put together an outstanding season and the juniors on that squad had high hopes for the following year. But, due to re-districting, there was further movement, as certain seniors were transferred depending on where they lived. The bottom line is, that split up the potential powerhouse, as six seniors went to Steinert. An intense Steinert-Hamilton rivalry for the City Championship later that year gave Steinert at 1-0 win. Steinert continued to win, winning the Group III semifinals.

The team consisted of Ray Bainbridge, James Barlow, Rich Garton, James Griffiths, Salton Lucky, Norton Parker, Richard Pierson, Robert Smith, Ronald Stanik, Joseph Suosso, Sante Tulli, Edward Weisenburger, Lee Wurst, James Bloor, Bruce Grocott, John Hickman, Ronald Lauer and Steven Vitangeli. Griffiths became Steinertís first All-State performer.


RETURN TO THE HALL OF FAME MEMBERS PAGE